2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 36 of 38

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Most recent distance20000 miles
Previous carIsuzu Rodeo

Summary:

A decent SUV

The first month, it developed a minor fluid leak. The dealer had to inject the UV die to locate the leak and repair it. Altogether, the process took three days.

Around 11,000 miles, the brakes began squealing when I stopped at speeds above 30. The dealer checked the brakes and indicated there were no problems. Now, at 20,000, the brakes still squeak. The dealer's latest answer was it's normal because of the metallic graphite material the brakes are made out of.

General Comments:

The v8 engine has plenty of power. I don't have much use for the 4x4 features down here in Miami, so I can't really say much about that. The leather seats are comfortable, and I like the radio/CD controls on the steering wheel.

Review Date: 10th December, 2002

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6 cylinder gas from North America

Engine and transmission 6 cylinder gas Automatic

18,000 miles and the engine light has come on, as well as the oil gauge needle all the way on the right side. Oil was changed faithfully every 3000 miles since purchase. The dealership won't even suggest what might be the problem. In an emergency such as this, I would think the dealer would make an exception versus making an appointment several days away.

I am very dissatisfied with their customer service, and if there is a major problem with this car after spending $25,000, I will start a recall campaign. If anyone has experienced the same problem with the engine malfunction light coming on and staying on, please let me know.

General Comments:

What problems have consumers had with the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo?

Only good thing is the spare tire was placed out of the way.

Review Date: 4th November, 2002

19th Jan 2003, 21:28

I too have had the "check engine" light come on numerous times. On my last visit to the dealer, a mechanic spent considerable time tracing it to a split in a vacuum hose. He said it appeared this was done at installation/assembly. Since replacing the vacuum hose (5K miles ago) the light has not returned so I assume his diagnosis was correct. I have had 14 warranty claims on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD, and all have been related to either poor quality parts (e.g., brakes) or improper assembly.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.7 V8 Semi-Automatic
Distance when acquired19000 miles
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Definitely lives up to its name

The mapp sensor had a malfunction at 21,000 miles wich was causing it to stutter on initial load. Was fixed within a matter of minutes when taken to the dealer.

The 10 disc CD changer malfunctioned not allowing you to use the changer. Have not yet had it replaced due to inconvenience and time.

General Comments:

This vehicle is the most capable 4x4 I have ever had the pleasure to drive in. Where-ever I want to go it takes me, without hesitation. Shale, washed out hillsides to extremely muddy fields and that is just stock and without having to use 4 low. I can't wait to get the 3" rock crawler kit.

The leather seating is a little too soft for the off road yet great on long trips.

I did find out how to get a little extra gas mileage for almost nothing. I installed a K-N air filter and then removed the front of the air filter housing. I was able to get an extra 5 miles per gallon on the highway and 3 in the city. Nothing spectacular, but it does help.

Review Date: 5th September, 2002

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Typical American car, I should have know better!

Front brakes. Pulsing started at 4000 miles, got worse at 8000, has brakes repaired at dealership at 11000.

General Comments:

Dealership repair on brakes didn't last. Same pulsing, poor braking return about 13000 miles.

Review Date: 1st September, 2002

27th Sep 2002, 13:08

I am experiencing the same problems with my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Front rotors were replaced within the warranty of 12,000 miles... and now at 22,000 miles it's the same thing- terrible shaking every time I brake and I don't even brake hard! Like you, I should have known better.

27th Sep 2002, 15:07

I had replied to this review earlier and have an update. I've called around for repair on my brake rotors and it appears that Chrysler has issued a technical Service Bulletin for the brakes on Grand Cherokees. Check with your dealer- Mine is offering to resurface my rotors while they wait for the new parts to come in and they'll pay for the replacement parts- they said that the new brake parts should solve this problem with shaky braking, etc. Replacing rotors every 10,000 miles didn't look too good to me, either, but Chrysler is stepping up to the plate to take care of my problem.

19th Apr 2005, 09:44

2003 Overland

Same Problems, Resurfaced by Dealer at 10,000. Disks replaced by Dealer at 20,000. Now at a little over 30,000 and the same problem has come back. As of yet have not found a tsb Bulletins out even though Dealer has admitted that this is a problem with the entire Body Style of Grand Cherokees.