2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 32 of 38

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited V8 from North America

Engine and transmission V8 Automatic

Summary:

Piece of junk!

Transmission spent

Heating & air conditioning spent

ANNOYING WHISTLE that can't be identified!

If anyone knows what the whistle is please email me at: tkouble@hotmail.com

General Comments:

This beautiful vehicle has broken my heart! My heating and air conditioning have both cost me several hundred dollars to repair. It has an ANNOYING whistle that 5 different certified Jeep mechanics cannot identify. They just tell me that it's not a big deal and I should just ignore it. Of course, when my whole transmission drops and I have to pay $3K to fix it, they won't be asking me to ignore that.

Review Date: 24th March, 2004

9th Apr 2004, 16:23

And the transmission probably will drop - ours did! At 38,000 miles the transmission sensor went out - dealer wanted over $500 to fix, but charged me half when I was going to have it towed to my mechanic instead. At 63,000 miles the transmission is GONE and we don't tow anything or take it off road. I am VERY disappointed!

12th Apr 2004, 13:08

Transmission sensor also went bad on my '01 recently. It would try and start from 3rd gear. This started after I had towed a boat around a few times. Thank goodness I purchased an extended warranty. Of course the dealer also charged me $200 for a bad vacuum hose which a later found out to be a $3 and 2 minute job.

Anyway, that noise you're talking about, it sounds like something I had noticed after getting my GC. It doesn't start until about 65-70 mph. If that's what you're talking about, I found out through some online research that it is typical of the Quadra-track system. Apparently it hasn't caused any problems or vice-versa.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.7 V8 Automatic
Previous carToyota Pickup

Summary:

A well engineered, economic, luxury SUV

The power Steering cooler hose broke at 8000 miles when we were on vacation. The car was towed to a nearby dealer on Sunday. The first dealer where the 800 emergency warranty service had the car towed to didn't actually service Jeeps. I called the 800 Warranty service Monday morning and they looked up another dealer and had it towed there. I called daily hoping to get it back since I was paying for storage at a nearby RV park for my travel trailer we tow on vacation. It was ready Wed afternoon. I haven't had any other problems.

General Comments:

I am impressed with the towing ability. Everything is stock. All I did was plug in the trailer brakes. The Jeep handles well with a standard leveler hitch. The 235 horsepower V8 with 5 speed automatic transmission has plenty of power and gets 9 MPG average when towing my 5800 pound trailer.

Review Date: 5th March, 2004

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lareda V8 from North America

Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

Well worth the cost.

Rotors replaced at 10000 miles. Transmission modual changed at 45000

Fuel valve changed at 56000.

General Comments:

For snow and ice it can't be beat. Plenty of room for kids on long trips. average 18 mpg. Quite and smooth as the day I bought it. Try to get 250000 miles then give it to kids.

I feel very save in case of crash.

Review Date: 28th February, 2004

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L, 265-HP, 16-valve, 325 ft-lb torque, 16v, hig from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 4.7L, 265-HP, 16-valve, 325 ft-lb torque, 16v, hig Automatic
Distance when acquired19878 miles

Summary:

It's the best and most-powerful all-around vehicle ever manufactured!

Nothing has gone wrong with this American sport utility vehicle.

General Comments:

This vehicle has a lot of power, very strong, very reliable, and very well-running engine.

The transmission is just as great as the engine.

I love my Jeep!

It has a lot of luxury for a Jeep. There are some very evident, cheap, and cost-saving details, such as cheap plastics, but overall it is a great vehicle and I love it very much.

I WILL get another Jeep when I am finished with this Overland.

I highly recommend the Jeep Grand Cherokee!

Review Date: 16th February, 2004

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from North America

Distance when acquired22000 miles

Summary:

Paying for looks, not reliability

Steering wheel had violent vibrating when braking. Had to replace rotors at 30,000 miles.

At 50,000 miles, transmission wouldn't go into second gear. $1700 down the drain. Shaking again when braking. Looks like I need new rotors again.

General Comments:

It handles well and looks real good but transmissions should last more than 50,000.

Review Date: 21st November, 2003

18th Mar 2004, 20:23

I too have experienced rotor problems om my Grand Cherokee Laredo at 30K. I remember seeing this problem mentioned elsewhere, making me believe it is an inherent problem. It may just be appearing in the 2001s. Anybody else?

6th Apr 2004, 10:46

My brakes also caused vibrations when braking. The Jeep dealer said that the rotors needed to be replaced. I only had 32,000 miles on the Grand Cherokee Limited, and had never towed anything. Since I've just started towing trailers, this is a big concern.

It turns out that there is a service notice from Chrysler that the original calipers are poorly designed. The bad design generates excessive heat to the rotors, and causes warping. There is a new caliper design that is recommended when replacing the rotors. It is supposed to produce less heat and result in longer rotor life.

Note: This is a service bulletin, but NOT a recall. Therefore, the replacement is not covered under warranty, and reimbursed by the Chrysler Corp.

I decided to make the replacement, and hope that it increases the lifetime of my brakes. I had the Jeep dealer make the repairs. Since this may turn into a recall in the future, they will have the documentation and could reimburse me for the work. Fat chance, but something to hope for.