1990 Toyota Camry Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.5 Liter V6, 4 cams Automatic
Most recent distance91940 miles
Previous carToyota Prius

Summary:

A great first car if you can find one

Power steering high pressure line began seeping (after the car had not been driven for five years).

Replaced water pump.

Replaced timing belt.

Intermittent dome light.

Minor wear on driver's seat.

Master key has become worn with use.

General Comments:

Pros: build quality, acceleration with the V6, quiet ride noise, comfortable, anti-lock brakes, power sunroof, power seat height & tilt adjustment, spacious trunk.

Cons: gas mileage, running costs at 23 years old.

My aunt purchased this car new in 1990 with all the bells and whistles. She drove this car from New England to Florida and back with no trouble several times during the 1990s. In 2005, she was involved in a serious accident with the car, which had hopped a curb and gotten the car airborne. After picking up several parts that had fallen off, she was still able to drive it to a local garage. Much of the undercarriage had to be fixed following the accident, but most of these repairs would not typically have been needed at 70,000 otherwise. Shortly afterward, my aunt lessened her driving and the car sat in her garage for five years, undriven.

I recently inherited the car and recently sunk some money into it (due to several parts that needed replacement from not being used for five years). At 23 years old, there is less than 1 square centimeter of body rust on the car and the V6 engine still runs strong. The car is also surprisingly quiet for a V6, due to the large amount of noise dampening cloth under the hood. Granted, the accident has left some minor scratches and oil leaks, but this car has held up well. As a student, it gets me from point A to point B. Being owned by an elderly woman, this 1990 Camry is in much better shape than those that are still on the road today. I like the interior fit and finish much better than the other family cars (a 2004 Sienna and a 2008 Prius). The car is solid and heavy, giving the driver a sense of security. My Camry was also equipped with automatic seat belts and optional anti-lock brakes, which are safety bonuses.

My only complaints are that the car has no airbags and gets poor gas mileage (19 city, 25 highway) due to the heavy materials and V6 engine. I am willing to sacrifice gas mileage for build quality and acceleration. I enjoy this car much better than the Prius that I learned to drive on. The car is built much better than newer Toyotas. If you can find one for sale, I recommend purchasing it.

Review Date: 12th July, 2013

1990 Toyota Camry DX Wagon 2.0L from North America

First year of ownership1990
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.0L Automatic
Previous carToyota Truck

Summary:

Best car purchase I ever made.

Torn boot, thermostat, ignition coil, dome light, and rear left window stopped working. That's it, other than normal wear and tear items during 22 years of original ownership.

Rust at wheel wells and side fender corners, but then it's gone through heavy Chicago winters with constant snow and road salt.

General Comments:

Bullet-proof car. Built like a tank.

Not exactly a car to pickup chicks with, but its bland looks fit my unpretentious personality.

Best car purchase I ever made.

Original owner for 22 years, and it's still going strong.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2012

1990 Toyota Camry DX Wagon 2.0 from North America

First year of ownership2010
Previous carFord Contour

Summary:

20 years young and still going...gracefully!

Besides scheduled maintenance, not much.

No horror stories of mysterious electrical problems that mechanics can't solve or leaving you on the side of the road in the middle of the night. No drama.

Dome light bulb when out... that's it.

Interior construction is top notch. Even compared to domestic cars 15 years newer!

Exterior's only weak spot are the rusting on the wheel wells. Mine is just starting to rust only on 1 wheel well, about a inch or two. If it gets really bad, I love this car enough to fix it.

General Comments:

Get in a drive it, and it oozes quality, Solid feel to it even after 20 years, amazing.

It's very good in the snow (good tires help).

Most practical car I have ever owned; wagon model is a big plus. I throw a few snowboards in, my fishing rod and gear, groceries, luggage, camping gear with ease.

Roominess is ample for 4 adults up to 6'00. 5 would be a bit cramped for long hauls. I'm 6'00 215 lbs myself, and the car fits me perfect, enough head clearance and leg room, and I like the seats better than the 3rd generation Camrys.

Only thing I don't like about it is its rough idle, and at highway cruising speed (60-65 mph), and when you tap the accelerator, it has a vague feeling.

This is my 3rd Camry, still have my '92 Camry sedan with 216,000 miles on it, and it purrs like a kitten. I expect both cars to go well over 300,000 miles.

These engines are bullet proof. Just do the obvious maintenance, and it will last a long, long time with minimal repair. I can't say that about a lot of other cars.

Performance wise, it doesn't do a single thing great, but does everything well. There are a lot of intangibles involved also that won't show up in spec sheets, like peace of mind and the grin I get while driving it.

I was lucky to buy my 1990 Camry wagon used in very very good condition, and for only $1,500 it was the best buy of the year, and I can honestly say I love it more than my '92.

I highly recommend this car to anyone that doesn't mind its bland looks and more for its legendary reliability, practicality and quality for a cheap price.

Review Date: 26th February, 2010