1990 Toyota Camry Station Wagon DX V6 from North America

Summary:

Toyota Camry's are awesome cars

The motor in the drivers side door that operates my window has been dying. It will work fine and the window will move up and down, and then decide to stop working. If I go into my door panel and tap on the motor, it starts working again. I'm sure its just because the car is almost 17 years old, and once it's replaced it will be fine.

General Comments:

For a station wagon, it's quick.

Reliable, never quits on me.

Plenty of room, plus the folding rear seats.

It has power window, power locks and such, which are great.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2006

1990 Toyota Camry Base Model 2.0 liter 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Wonderful, fun little car

Ignition cylinder broken due to attempted theft: $400.00.

Radio Bezel broken due to attempted theft: $64.00.

When I got the car back from the dealer, they gave me a list of things wrong with the car, including:

Exhaust center pipe is cracked.

Clutch Master Cylinder leaks.

Oil leaking from behind the timing cover. The mechanic wrote "Recommend steam and recheck - too much oil everywhere."

The mechanic wrote "trans pan?" on the list... that doesn't look good.

Both lower control arm bushings are broken.

This is only some of the problems that were listed.. I think my car was put through it's paces before I had it.

Sometimes it does not start after it has been running for a while.

General Comments:

When I bought the car in November of 2005, I was told that it was in great condition. Obviously it is not. Nevertheless I love this car and staunchly defend it's honor when my friends tease my about my "crappy car."

The car is fairly quick and handles decently well for it's class. When driving to a friend's house in the mountains, I could generally take turns 20 miles faster than they were labeled (trying to keep up with his 89 BMW 325i). However, make no mistake - this car no racer.

Gas is in the mid-to-high 20's in the city, depending on how you drive it, and low to mid 30's on the freeway. Not really comparable to modern gas-sippers getting 40 mpg (even if you drive them rough), but not even close to a gas guzzler. Even when gas is 3.15 a gallon it's only $35 to fill up completely.

Good for a kid who wishes they have a fast car - the 2.0 inline 4 cylinder engine sounds like a Mustang at higher RPM's and leaves a grin on your face every time, but still goes from 0-60 in just over 9 seconds. Like I said, definitely not a racer.

The front seats are typical cloth seats, nothing really too fancy. I was still comfortable in the car after two hours. I never sat in the backseat, but I've never heard any complaints, including any from my best friends, who aare 5'10" and 6'1". I'm 5'7".

The button on the steering column that releases the key is a bit annoying, but I know I'm going to miss it when I get my next car.

This car is definitely reliable except for the hot-start problem, which I'm convinced is not typical of the 2nd generation Camry. I'm sure it's just my car.

It doesn't have a tachometer even though supposedly all Camry's with a manual transmission are supposed to have one. I think the previous owner switched out the dash.

I love this car and will drive it until it dies, which unfortunately will not be very long.

Review Date: 20th June, 2006

1990 Toyota Camry SE Station Wagon 2.0 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

We would buy another one tomorrow if they still made them

Springs and shock absorbers replaced at 60,000 (We did a lot of dirt road driving)

Windscreen replaced about 120,000 ks.

Clutch fork cracked at about 260,000 Ks.

CV boot split at about 250000 ks.

Front and rear engine mounts replaced about 250,000 kms.

Windscreen replaced and rust taken from above windscreen at about 255,000 ks.

Exhaust mainifold cracked about 260000 ks.

Radiator blew out & head gasket replaced at about 300000 ks.

Engine oil leaks soon after 300000 ks.

Rears suspension bushes, and front sway bar bushes repaced at about 315000 ks.

Rear door struts replaced about 320000 ks.

Starter solenoid contact repaired at 434000 ks.

Suspension strut inserts replace roughly every 120,000 kms.

Two alternators, 4 batteries, 5 timing belts so far in the life of the car. Many minor repairs over recent years.

General Comments:

The Camry Station Wagon has been a fantastic car. My wife doesn't want to get rid of it and wants it to see 500000 ks. It will do it too!

For reliability and performance I've not known better. Despite a few minor oil leaks the motor still pulls almost like new.

Review Date: 12th June, 2006