2000 Vauxhall Vectra Arctic 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent car, badly let down by unreliable electrics

A serious fault in the gearbox electronic control unit required expensive replacement £450 on a very low mileage vehicle (<40K)

Wiring & electrics seem extremely problematic on all Vauxhall/Opels of this vintage. This I hear from a number of independent sources.

General Comments:

Nice car, very solid feel.

Review Date: 8th December, 2005

2000 Vauxhall Vectra SRi 2.2i 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nice looking, nippy, all round family car!

Engine mount gone, but drives OK, just has knocking when steering/turning left.

This has lead to down pipe on exhaust that connects to CAT damaged and blowing due to engine movement.

I believe both of above may be expensive to fix, but ain't got a quote yet!

Drivers seat slight wear on leather.

Dampness in left hand side of boot, but no leaks from seals (?) Can't understand this.

General Comments:

Smart looking car (Graphite Green)

Plenty of room for family of 4.

On board computer very good and user friendly.

Very smooth and economical on motorway.

Brakes very good.

Would have another, but would choose 2.2DTi 16v.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2005

2000 Vauxhall Vectra 2.5 gsi v6 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The Vectra gsi 2.5 v6 is an awesome machine

The GSI, have had no problems lovely machine.

The SRI, no end of faults, mainly gear box fault and engine failure, but apparently well known for this. Luckily I got hit head on and claimed on the compo, a lot more than car was worth in my opinion.

General Comments:

GSI - Stunning looking, really fast, superb to drive, quite confortable for a fast car, extremely quiet 'which shocked me to be fair'.

SRI - Nice looking, but all in all not a patch on the GSI, kind of the GSI's little kid brother.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2005

17th Oct 2005, 09:35

Hi, I liked your review. I really want to buy either a GSi or SRi in early 2006, but am just curious as to why you say there was such a huge difference in reliability. Maybe you had just got a poor SRi, and a better than average GSi? I don't know. It's just that they are totally similar mechanically, only real difference being higher lift cam shafts in the GSi. Only other differences are purely cosmetic i.e. front spoiler, alloy size, and seat material and steering wheel colour.

I've heard of guys with GSis with quite a few problems, the worst being an infamously difficult & notchy gearbox, with in some cases, a complete gearbox replacement being necessary.

So, I don't think that IN GENERAL, there is any major MECHANICAL difference between the two. Anyway, all I can say is "You lucky Devil!!", and would you be interested in selling it in the new year?

2000 Vauxhall Vectra LS 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Overall very good family car

Driver's side window came out of runners at 35,000 miles.

General Comments:

The interior now looks dated.

The front electric window switches are in an awkward position next to gearstick.

Car has good acceleration and braking very good.

Good family car, with good size boot.

Review Date: 31st May, 2005

2000 Vauxhall Vectra LS 2.0Di from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Quick, Comfortable and very good car to own

No problems as yet, just purchased the car 2 weeks ago, but gave it a good test drive up to Scotland to see my girlfriend.

General Comments:

The car is seriously quick for just a 2.0Di, coming back home to Bradford from Scotland, it managed to touch around 118mph.

The seats are excellent for long journeys. Once you arrive, you just feel like you have just gone down to the shops.

The driving position is very good and clear.

People who pull down Vectra's should not, it is a great car to own.

I am only 21 and my mates have a good laugh, asking me where the baby seat is. The reason I bought the car, is that I travel from Bradford to Scotland and back home again which is 400+ mile and this car can do it easily.

Review Date: 21st November, 2004

19th Dec 2004, 08:52

UPDATE ON 19 DECEMBER 2005.

Thanks for your comment, very much appreciated.

I took the car down to a friend who's in the motor trade and he changed the timing belt and tensioners for me, just be on the safe side. Cost me £75 which I was happy about.

As for the servicing, I have just completed that now. The car is running nice and smooth now and the new glow plugs took a little to get into, but everything is fine now.

1st Jan 2005, 04:48

UPDATE 1 JANUARY 2005.

I no longer have the Vectra now, it was really just a runabout car until a found one that I really liked.

So now? I have bought a VW Golf GT TDi (150bhp) 5 door on a 52 plate. Set me back nearly 12k, but it is a superb car and the torque is fantastic.

Check the new review in the 2002 section of the VW Golfs.

Well done though Vauxhall for making an excellent car, which I enjoyed putting 3,000 miles on.

9th Dec 2007, 09:55

My original car, a Nissan Primera, was written off in an accident, and I needed another car in a hurry. I bought a 2000 LS Vectra hatch for 1175 pounds from a small country dealer my brother knows. I've had the car for 3 months now, and no problems, and it passed its recent MOT no problems. This I was quite surprised at, as the car has done 105000 miles.

It's a good car to drive, and very good on the motorway. It feels solid and safe. The only thing I'm not happy with is the handling, and I find it wallows through bends, and despite all the suspension bushes being replaced by the previous owner, it still handles like a wet sponge. I can live with it, as I don't do a lot of miles. I just wish it could handle corners like my Primera used to; then it would be an excellent all round car.

Would I recommend a Vectra for a family car? Yes.

15th Sep 2008, 07:09

A Vectra Di does not have a timing belt. So may I suggest your "mate" is ripping you off?