2000 Vauxhall Vectra SRi 120 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

At 18, I'm not complaining!

Nothing much has gone wrong with the car, other than the air conditioning didn't work when we first bought it. It just needed a refill of gas and cost £50.

General Comments:

This is my second car, as I am only 18, and is very quick.

I am very happy with the car, and have had no problems other than described above.

The seats are beautiful, and support every part of your back. The car is laden with 'irmscher' bits as standard, and I worked out that if you were to buy these separately and stick them on a normal vectra, it would cost you over £3000 for the parts alone. Therefore, it is also very good value for money. The car does not drink excessively, but it loves the gas pedal to be down.

Review Date: 5th October, 2003

1st Sep 2004, 07:20

I'm only 18 and I have a Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed, I could have had a Vectra, but they are in no way as nice or as quick as my car. 120, what's that when a Alfa is next to you revving its engine, oh and Irmsher styling is nothing compared to my S3 kit.

22nd Jan 2009, 22:00

I think I'd rather stick with the Vectra, Alfa Romeo equals unreliable AND ugly. Who spends their driving days revving their engine at other drivers?

23rd Jan 2009, 11:11

Maybe people who like a bit of fun eh?

19th May 2009, 10:17

I am also 18 and am considering taking my dad's 2000 1.8 Vectra off his hands. I have only drove a Saxo 1.1 before and I was wondering what you think I should look out for?

Cheers, Mark.

10th Sep 2009, 16:56

I'm 31 and just got Vectra SRi 120. Nice car to drive, but could do with more take off power, still happy with it!! Looks sweet!!

16th Aug 2012, 16:22

Alfas are good looking, but I would always go for the Vectra.

2000 Vauxhall Vectra LX 2.0 dti from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An economical bargain, sensible in style and nature

Master Air flow meter light came on and unit failed each time you put the car through the 3000 revs. mark.

Fuel lines had to be replaced early on after I had bought the vehicle. As I was on holiday, I needed them repairing quickly.

Full new set of tyres just recently fitted, but these are really normal consumables, aren't they?

General Comments:

I've never personally owned a Vauxhall before, having had no trouble with the past Rover's that I have owned. Although I needed a bigger towcar for my caravan, I wasn't prepared to pay for a Rover 600 series vehicle as they had a lower towing weight. I have also found a pleasing fuel return in miles per gallon, even when I am towing the caravan.

Review Date: 11th August, 2003

2000 Vauxhall Vectra GLS 2.0 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Practical and comfy family motoring

A 'clunk' started through the steering wheel and brake pedal when turning. To fix the fault has taken a new steering rack and two universal knuckle joints. Check the steering thoroughly before buying!

The crank sensor has been replaced.

General Comments:

I really like this car. It is comfortable, quick enough for me and provides practical family motoring. I was lucky enough that the initial problems were sorted under warranty so therefore avoided a potentially big bill.

I have since researched a little more into the Vectra and realise the problems I have encountered are common. The steering in particular is an expensive problem to fix, particularly through a main dealer. I am now a fan of warranties!

Fuel consumption is OK, but I wouldnt go as far as to say economical.

Review Date: 24th July, 2003

2000 Vauxhall Vectra CD 2.0DTi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A durable and economical buy

Turbo air recirculation pipe blew off. This is a very simple problem to fix using a larger hose connector, but afflicted many diesel units around 2000.

Very uneven tire wear - outer edge of rear tyre worn out in 20,000 miles. Solved under warranty by a chassis alignment check and rebuild of rear suspension. I had to buy the tires which have since lasted 44,000 miles. How many others suffer from this?!

Flat battery caused by owner-induced water in under bonnet electrics during washing.

General Comments:

I bought the car because it was cheap (30% discount) and comfortable for long distances. This is helped by the addition of cruise control which goes well with the diesel torque. It is also boring and doesn't look flash, which means it survives unmolested in rough areas.

So far it has proved reasonably reliable and durable with no significant wear and tear. The car feels well put together and ready for another 60,000.

Best feature is the engine, which is reasonably powerful and refined and gives average 55 mpg. Long trips on motorways give over 60. When you buy your own fuel, this adds up.

Some owners of DTi's report high oil consumption. Mine uses about 1 liter (full to empty) between oil changes, but was run in carefully with an extra oil change and is not used hard.

Review Date: 16th June, 2003

9th May 2004, 14:25

I had a 1998 Vectra estate (Tourer) which suffered from similar tyre wear problems. The outer edge of both rear tyres would wear and would need replacing at 22,ooo miles. Never did resolve the issue before selling it. Other than that it was a reliable, comfortable car.