2000 Vauxhall Vectra GLS 1.8 16v petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Comfortable, reliable, muscular mile-eater with plenty of space front and back

Warm start can take a few seconds, sometimes cuts out immediately afterward. This developed at about 30000 miles, and has worsened considerably at 38000. Engine temperature sensor has probably packed in.

Erratic idling (since 28000 miles). I believe this is known as "Vectra-itis"!

General Comments:

Nice comfortable drive - long journeys are no chore. We do a lot of miles, so simple things like comfy and easily-adjustable seats make the difference between enjoying and suffering a journey.

Plenty of space in the front and back, and the boot's massive. I can fit guitar, amp and speaker cabinet in the back, and still give 3 or 4 mates a lift to the gig! One thing though - the seat pockets aren't deep enough to stick a road atlas in without it coming out when you open the door.

The car packs plenty of muscle. Acceleration and overtaking is responsive, especially between 2500 and 3500 rpm. The car will go up a reasonably steep hill in fifth at 40 mph without complaining, which is considerably better than my previous Astra.

The fuel economy's okay - the worst I've had is 350 miles out of the 60 litre tank (27mpg) (all-urban driving). Once you get out on the motorways and open roads, you can easily get 450 to 500 miles out of one tank, even with the air-con on (35-38mpg). Hopefully this will improve after the imminent service when I won't be going to Vauxhall's Masterfit people.

Dealer service is a bit lacking. The mechanics at our local Masterfit didn't do most of the things I'd pointed out, and had the cheek to razz my car about whilst I was looking on - I was not amused, to say the least. I've been led to believe that this is pretty much par for the course for main dealers, so the next service will be at a local specialist.

Review Date: 25th October, 2004

2000 Vauxhall Vectra LS 1.8 dual fuel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A high performance bargain

O2 sensor failed at 56000 miles.

Gearbox blew up at 81500 miles.

Clutch overheated and caused the pressure plate to crack in 2 places at 81500 miles.

Flywheel overheated and left it scored at 81500 miles.

Faulty oil pump replaced at 81500 miles.

General Comments:

The car is seriously quick and handles like it's on rails. It is a very good car to own and drive, despite the problems that I have had. I wouldn't hesitate in buying a Vectra again.

My Vectra has been extremely reliable for the amount of miles I do (5000 miles a month) and the way I drive my car, although it has been serviced every 5000 miles to compensate for the hard use.

I got the car converted to LPG when I got it and it costs me half the price of petrol when I go anywhere. LPG is the best thing I ever done. I can do about 800 miles on the motorway staying at very high speeds for under 60 quid.

That's probably cheaper than a diesel.

I got a 136mph out of it on the autobahn in Germany. That is very fast for an 1.8 LPG car.

Review Date: 28th May, 2004

2000 Vauxhall Vectra CDX 2.5 V6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Truly outstanding for its price range

Central locking jammed.

Drivers headlight fault.

General Comments:

This car is seriously quick. This estate will beat most normal cars even when fully loaded and with a roof box on. Trust me I know.

Outstanding performance and handling although I have got "W" rated tyres fitted.

The two problems I have had with it were both fixed quickly at no cost and were both due to earthing problems.

The only extra you can get for this is cruise control apart from that everything about this car is superb.

This has been the best buy I have ever made and will definitely be buying Vauxhall again, probably the 3.2V6 Signum Elite.

Review Date: 11th January, 2004